Common Areas of the Body for Liposuction
Feb 7, 2014 @ 12:30 PM — by Dina Eliopoulos
People who regularly diet and watch their weight may still be troubled by bumps and bulges that mar their silhouette. This is because fat can deposit in places where it is difficult to remove. Love handles, lower abdominal fat, and fat in the lower back area are common areas where fat takes up residence.
If, despite diet and exercise, you have problem spots that do not budge, you may be an ideal candidate for liposuction, a procedure in which precise deposits of fat are removed. Liposuction is not weight- loss surgery, but a plastic surgery technique that improves your body’s contours when you are near your ideal weight.
To understand what liposuction can do for you, it’s best to consult a surgeon who can assess your needs. Dr. Dina Eliopoulos is a board certified plastic surgeon with offices in Chelmsford. She can explain liposuction treatments and determine if it will help you reach your goal for a toned contour.
Common Liposuction Areas
Popular areas for liposuction include:
- Abdomen. Not surprisingly, this is one of the most common areas for liposuction as fat tends to accumulate in the stomach region. Often, the upper and lower abdomen receives treatment at the same time to create a smooth, continuous contour. Liposuction can also be combined with a tummy tuck to address sagging skin.
- Waist and Hips. Accumulations of fat in the waist and hips create the “love handles” or “muffin tops” that ruin your silhouette. Meticulous liposuction removes fat deposits to create a gentle curve as the waist transitions to the hips.
- Thighs. Women are frequently bothered with both the size and shape of their thighs. Liposuction can improve thighs by precisely removing fat deposits on the front, inner, and outer thighs.
- Upper Torso and Back. Pockets of fat in the upper torso and back are particularly stubborn. Liposuction can tackle “bra rolls” or “back rolls” that are otherwise difficult to eradicate. Fat on the sides of the chest near the armpit is another trouble spot where liposuction can help. Men who lose muscle mass in the chest or suffer from gynecomastia also benefit from liposuction.
- Neck and Jowls. The contours of the face and neck can be improved through liposuction. Fullness in the neck is visually aging or can make a person look overweight. Liposuction can also improve the jowls.
- Upper Arms. Upper arms tend to get fuller and flabby with age. If there is sufficient skin elasticity, liposuction can be used to remove a moderate amount of fat in the upper arms, improving shape and tone. If you have both excessive fat and sagging skin in your upper arms, liposuction can be combined with an arm lift to improve tone.
Most people who benefit from liposuction are healthy, in good physical condition, near their ideal weight, and have skin that still retains its elasticity. Though you may not fit this ideal model, you may still be able to improve your silhouette through liposuction.
If you would like to find out if liposuction can smooth out your contour, a personal consultation with Dr. Eliopoulos is the best way to assess your needs and determine a treatment to target your problem areas. Call today for an appointment.