Get Your Body Back with a Mommy Makeover
P.S. They Aren’t Just for Moms Anymore!
May 5, 2022 @ 12:35 PM — by Dina Eliopoulos
As the name suggests, mommy makeovers have traditionally been an initiative for moms who want to take control of their post-partum bodies. Desiring to restore their flatter tummies and body contours to their pre-pregnancy state, many decide to consider surgical options after not seeing the results that diet and exercise alone can provide. The mommy makeover procedure is designed to restore a mother's body to its pre-pregnancy shape and enhance individual features.
Having proven to provide dramatic and well-received results, mommy makeovers have become a popular option for any woman displeased with their general physique, especially those who have experienced significant weight loss. A fluctuation in weight can result in the same physical symptoms experienced by post-partum mothers, including sagging and deflated breasts, loose abdominal skin, and stubborn fatty areas, making a mommy makeover or “full body transformations” an option for these women as well.
A mommy makeover is a combination of surgical treatments, non-surgical treatments, or both, with each one specifically tailored to meet your aesthetics goals, but all designed to enhance your feminine well-being and confidence!
What You Can Do to Reduce Scarring
In many scenarios, a combination of surgical options will produce the most dramatic results. While under anesthesia, the surgeon can more aggressively address multiple target areas at once, as opposed to undergoing multiple surgeries for each individual concern. In turn, the patient requires less time to recuperate, less time off from work, and less time avoiding exercise than if each procedure was performed individually.
Also, as you can imagine, patients are typically even more ‘wowed’ with their results and feel more harmonious and proportional by targeting adjacent areas at the same time. Some of the most common surgical procedures included in a mommy makeover include:
- Tummy Tuck: A tummy tuck is a surgical procedure designed to contour and remove excess skin in the midsection while restoring weak, separated abdominal muscles. Restoring the function of these muscles reveals a smoother, more defined silhouette.
- Liposuction: Liposuction removes fat cells from areas of the body that may be difficult to target through other means, such as the abdomen, hips, back, thighs, and arms.
- Breast Lift: Weight fluctuations, pregnancy, and even the natural aging process can leave women with deflation in the upper portion of the breast, excess skin, enlarged areolas, and overall saggy breasts. A breast lift, also known as mastopexy, improves the shape of the breast to give it a more lifted, perky, balanced appearance without implants. Breast lifts can be performed alone if you are happy with your existing volume, or combined with an implant if a bit more fullness is desired.
- Breast Augmentation: A breast augmentation uses implants to enhance your volume and cleavage. Whether you are restoring lost volume or adding volume that you always wished you had, breast augmentation may be the answer to achieving that desired shape and size.
Non-Surgical Mommy Makeover Procedures
Some patients prefer a less invasive option when it comes to getting their bodies back. These options can be highly effective in improving the appearance of the body and restoring self-confidence. Here are just a few of the many options available:
- ThermiVa Vaginal Rejuvenation: Using radiofrequency energy, ThermiVa improves the appearance of the vaginal tissues, increases sensation and sexual pleasure, relieves dryness and, if a concern, may improve urinary stress incontinence.
- CoolSculpting: A form of non-invasive body contouring, CoolSculpting is an FDA approved treatment that harnesses the power of freezing temperatures to permanently eliminate stubborn fat cells from the body, particularly the abdomen, flanks and thighs.
- Morpheus8 RF Microneedling: Morpheus8 is a radiofrequency-based microneedling treatment that stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. As collagen rebuilds, the skin becomes progressively tighter, firmer, and more youthful in appearance.
Things to Consider with a Mommy Makeover
When evaluating if a mommy makeover is right for you, you’ll want to take into account the following and discuss these considerations with your plastic surgeon during an initial consultation:
One of the most crucial aspects to consider is your overall health. Patients with certain health conditions may not be eligible for elective procedures, such as those involved in a mommy makeover. If considering surgery after pregnancy, ideally, one should wait about six months and feel like the changes in their body have plateaued. For moms undergoing a breast lift or augmentation, they should also have weaned from breastfeeding at least four months before surgery, giving themselves time to see how their breasts will settle in.
Individuals who are interested in a mommy makeover as a result of fluctuating weight instead of pregnancy should ideally be close to their goal weight at the time any procedure is conducted and should have maintained this weight loss for a period of six months or more.
As with any surgery, there are risks associated with procedures included in a mommy makeover. To ensure safety and optimal results, patients should only work with plastic surgeon that is board-certified and experienced in the field, such as Boston area Plastic Surgeon Dr. Dina Eliopoulos. To ensure that the plastic surgeon is a good fit, consider asking the following questions before surgery:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- What specific training do you have in mommy makeover techniques?
- Can I see before and after pictures of your previous patients?
While some procedures may have minimal recovery time, others may inhibit your normal activities for many weeks or require multiple follow-up appointments. For example, breast surgery or liposuction may only require one week of recovery, while abdominoplasty procedures may take up to 2 weeks out of work. Typically, patients will need to take a break from exercising for 4-6 weeks, depending on the procedures performed. Consider asking the following questions to get a better understanding of what recovery will look like for your specific procedures:
- How long will recovery take?
- Will I need any medications?
- Do I need dressings or bandages after surgery?
- Will I have drains in place, and if so, for how long?
- Am I able to bathe or shower afterward?
- When am I able to resume normal activities and exercise?
- What follow-up care is required?
Learn More About Mommy Makeovers
The best way to learn if a mommy makeover is right for you is through a personal plastic surgery consultation with Boston area mommy makeover provider Dr. Eliopoulos at the Center for Plastic Surgery. During the consultation process, you will discuss your goals, and Dr. Eliopoulos will recommend the best combination of procedures to help you achieve your complete body transformation. You will learn about these procedures, the recovery process, possible risks and recommendations to optimize your healing, and the costs associated.